Wednesday, October 9, 2013

To Jump on the Quinoa Train?

This week I decided I would actually cook for myself. Normally I say this,  buy some veggies--broccoli, asparagus, green beans-- and then forget halfway through the week that I have them. Sometimes I eat them before they go back, but quite frequently I have to toss them. This week, I decided to stick to my plan! I even invited a couple of girls over last night so that I would have to feed them a real meal... 

On Monday I decided I wanted to make stuffed peppers. If you know me, this is completely out of left field. I'm not really adventurous when it comes to food. I'll pick chicken nuggets over anything with mushrooms any day. Well, I got even more adventurous and decided to use quinoa since I really don't care for rice either. This is where I let the experimentation begin. 

Monday after work, I strolled over to Whole Foods and picked up food for the week. I made Lemon Chicken that night with a side of steamed spinach (another thing I would not usually eat). And the rest of the ingredients for what I thought, and read a little about on the internet, went into a stuffed pepper. 

**You'll soon figure out, I'm not one for recipes, so here is a ballpark of what went in them

Stuffed Peppers
-3 Bell peppers, one yellow, two red
-Box of pre-washed quinoa (only used a cup, then cooked like it said to on the box... it was my first time and super easy)
-Md sized can of crushed tomatoes (drained slightly... they don't drain well apparently)
- Garlic
-Purple Onion
-Left over spinach
-1/2 lb ground turkey breast
-1 turkey sausage, herb I think
-Half a taco seasoning packet
-Sprinkle of black pepper
-Sprinkle of chilli powder
-Sprinkle of taco cheese

Casal Garcia Vinho VerdeSo I sauteed the garlic and onion then added the turkeys with a little EVOO. Once that was cooked I added the tomatoes and let it simmer for a hot minute.  I remembered to put in a couple of pieces of the yellow pepper and the spinach. then I tossed in the seasonings *I didn't add salt because the sodium in the taco packet was more than enough. While this was hanging on the stove, I cut the stuff out of the peppers and tossed them in a dish in the oven--my colleague Molly recommended it so I wouldn't have to keep in the oven as long. I took them out about 5 minutes later and filled them with the mixture I'd created, topped with the cheese, and threw them in the oven for 20 minutes.

By this time, the girls had arrived and had poured glasses of Vinho Verde. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it. Our bottle was $6.99 and quite delicious. It was a little surprising because it fizzed slightly, but it's not too sweet. It was a great pairing with dinner, and by that I mean it tasted good. I won't attempt to be a wine connoisseur here.

We sat at my little nook discussing the plans for the week and our ideas for Halloween... More to come on that later. Soon the kitchen smelled amazing and we scarfed down the peppers (didn't even take a picture). 

Overall, I would recommend trying these out. I have the leftover stuffing for lunch today and it's phenom. Warmed it in the micro and put it with some romaine and pineapple. Maybe not the quickest recipe, but delicious and pretty healthy! I can't wait to use peppers as a cooking vessel more often! Ohhh and I really like quinoa... Texture is different, but not off putting. I'll be adding this to more recipes for sure. Happy I jump aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment